Days of Struggle

And so Brazilian / Japanese fusion. Hmmm. While I can understand Simon's suggestion (via Facebook) that it should work (given the size of the Japanese population in Brazil), I have to say that my night at Sushino was a little mixed. And by that I mean lovely and fascinating company, excellent drinks and really quite average food.

The concept itself, while slightly odd, should work given that the approach is less fusion and more a combination of two menus in one. A restaurant offering sushi - for those seeking light and healthy starters or a full light and healthy meal - and Brazilian-style grills could be a winning combination. The problem though is you have to have decent sushi. I don't claim to be an expert but after meals at Zuma, Cafe Japan, Sumosan and assorted holes-in-the-wall through Soho and not-as-good-as-they-once-were chains, the palate has seen a range of raw fish. And Sushino just wasn't up to standard. As for a 'special' sushi that's deep-fried, the less said about that, the better. There were good bits - the huge prawns from the grill, some strangely effective fruit sushi and a killer brulee and chocolate creation - but overall it was just a bit dull. But then there was the sake...

We were ostensibly to sample sakes from Akashi-Tai, presented by the charming Wakana Omija. We also got a lesson in Manhattan making by bar manager - and Manhattan afficionado - Paul Bradley, not to mention some great sake cocktails. I'll blog in more detail about Akashi-Tai's range in due course, but if you get a chance to try the Umeshu, I'd seriously recommend it. Infused with plum, it's...

Sorry. All that talk of sake made me crave one and, having been sent away with the remains of the bottles sampled - hey, I'm not proud - I figured I could talk more authoratively on the joys of ume plum-infused sake if I was simultaneously sipping on one. It's sweet, rich, warming - even straight out of the fridge - and I'm fully convinced of its alleged therapeutic properties. As is Mrs Lambshank who decided it would be good for her throat and nicked my glass. Grrr.

That was the sensible part of the evening. It was then followed by an hour or two getting lessons in classic cocktails by Paul, and running through his fine collection of bourbons and getting the aforementioned masterclass in Manhattan making. More on that when I've made one at home I'm happy with. As opposed to the ones Will and I created last night. If not Manhattan, we'd have settled for Brooklyn. Instead we're somewhere around Iowa. But we will get better. Oh yes. We will.

I should also mention tonight's dinner but it might sound like bragging. All I will say though is that it started with a base of onion sweated down in the fat produced from the remains of last weekend's pork belly. If I was the sort of sad, anal bastard who kept lists of 'aromas of the year' that would be an early contender for Number One...

Comments

Popular Posts